Western Landcare Steering Committee Meeting Communique
The meeting was held on the 11th September 2020 via zoom conference call.
Dave Allen made an acknowledgement of country.
Reports given were:
• Operations Report by Louise Turner
• Financial Report by Louise Turner
• Correspondence In/Out by Sonia Carey
• Local Landcare Coordinators Reports by Thel O’Shea and Julia Dearn
• Kangaroo Management Taskforce Report by Leon Zanker
• Weeds Report by Thel O’Shea
• Far West Rangelands Rehydration Report by Louise Turner
• Western Local Land Services Report by Erlina Crompton
• Western Landcare Group Reports
Attending at the meeting were guest speakers:
• Thalie Partridge – Thalie is Project Manager for Landcare NSW and has been appointed project manager for the Biodiversity Conservation Trust Partnering in Private Land Conservation Program.
• Alice MacGrath – Alice is the Statewide Coordination and Education Officer for the Biodiversity Conservation Trust. Her role aims to build awareness of biodiversity conservation across NSW.
• Simon Campbell – Simon is the Regional Manager for the Biodiversity Conservation Trust. Simon gave a description of projects the BCT are working on over the next 12 months and discussed the opportunity of a partnership program with Western Landcare.
A review of the previous actions was undertaken:
• Two drone courses have been run at White Cliffs and Wilcannia. Western Landcare are looking to purchase a drone to be used for mapping projects in the region.
• A State Conference debrief has been completed, a great response was given to the conference.
• Western Landcare applied for funding for mobile plant trailers. This was unsuccessful however BARG have donated their trailer to the Broken Hill Landcare Group.
• Western Landcare has received funding for 3 Local Landcare Coordinators and 1 Executive Officer. Western Landcare has welcomed Jessie Armstrong on board in a part time position working from the Balranald office. Western Landcare is currently seeking a full-time coordinator for Broken Hill.
• The Life and Light Photo Competition has run again this year. Entries have now closed, and winners will be announced soon.
• The Willandra World Heritage Program is still running with the support of Thel O’Shea. Thel gave a full report of this is his coordinators report.
• Western Landcare are looking to hold 3 governance training courses around the Western Region. These will take place early next year.
• Western Landcare has received funding to hold 2 advanced dog trapping schools. These are TBA at a later date due to Covid-19 restrictions.
• Western Landcare is planning on running 6 one day geomorphology workshops. Due to Covid-19 restrictions these will now be held next year.
• There is an executive position available for Western Landcare, if you would like to nominate yourself or someone else please contact Louise Turner.
• There are 2 positions available to represent Western Landcare on the Landcare NSW State Council. If you are interested in nominating for this or know or someone please contact Louise Turner.
The next Steering Committee Meeting will be Jan/Feb 2021.